Welcome Enock!
Happy to hear that the Peace Corps initiatives triggered your interest and
brought you into the fold.
Sounds like you are well on your way ... curious how you managed to find other
users in Ghana. This can sometimes be tricky (some suggestions at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mikelmaron/diary/18630).
Can't underestimate the value of an event to help start a community. That could
take the form of a mapping party, and there's many of us here who can advise on
making that a good experience. Key is to reach out through your networks ...
there's a good overlap between the Wikipedia and OSM communities in other
places, and I bet you could find some interest there.
-Mikel
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
On Monday, June 30, 2014 6:26 PM, Enock Seth Nyamador <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
>
>Hello,
>My name is Enock Seth Nyamador from Aflao, Ghana and I've been on the list for
>few weeks now. I call myself an Open Source addict :-) making me always
>involved in open projects.
>One of the things I do on the internet is contribute to Wikipedia. (Part of
>Wikipedians in Ghana)
>I got introduced to OSM when a Peace Corps volunteer in Ghana told me about
>Peace Corps Mapdown [1]. I opened up my browser and started mapping my
>community.
>I've seen there are OSMers in Ghana but we don't have any community which we
>can use to interact. After looking at other countries including Togo (Aflao is
>the major boarder town to and fro Ghana / Togo) with osm community I decided
>to start OSMGhana [2]. Which will lead to bringing community together,
>undertaking mapping projects, organising mapping events and raising more
>awareness and a lot more.
>Steps I've taken is to send message via osm to mappers who have mapped places
>natives / people within country can map. I've received feedback from some and
>they're in support.
>I'll be glad with any suggestions and advise from you all.
>1. http://pcmapdown.herokuapp.com/
>2. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ghana
>Regards,
>Enock
>_______________________________________________
>HOT mailing list
>[email protected]
>https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot