Hi Charlotte,
In iD:
Click on the Background settings (icon looks like stack of papers).
At the bottom of the slide out panel click the arrow next to "Fix Alignment"
Then use the 4 "arrows" that show up to move the background image around
and get it lined up.
As I said, usually, if Bing is the "reference" you draw a few things
exactly as show on Bing, then Background to switch back to the custom
imagery and then "fix alignment" to move the custom imagery to match
then things you drew over the Bing imagery.
It is hard to find, I had to ask as well for iD.
Cheers,
Blake
On 1/2/2015 8:24 PM, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
Blake,
How does one change the alignment of imagery with ID? I've been
mapping with ID for over a year, and I never heard of that.
This is just what Laura is talking about. We need plain and simple guidance.
When both the Bing and Worldview imagery were available in Mali, I used
only the Bing imagery, because it was clearly superior (no huge pixels),
and I
moved objects as necessary to align with Bing.
Charlotte
On 1/2/2015 3:14 PM, Laura Green wrote:
> Might someone be able to clarify the instructions shown on the HOT
page please?
> > I *think* it means (for JOSM users, not sure if it applies to ID):
> > 1) please map roads, streets, buildings, walls, water streams and
canals.
> 2) disregard the automatic imagery that downloads when you
contribute, download Bing imagery instead.
> 3) Bing imagery is now aligned correctly (as of date xxx), so please
realign or redraw vector data to match the Bing imagery.
This applies to ID and JOSM. The task will load WorldView imagery
for either editor. I think you have the directions basically correct,
but as I read them now my understanding is this:
1. Start editing a task.
2. Load the Bing imagery (now 2013 images). (In JOSM do not use the
alignment database plugin settings, they are no long needed for Bing
imagery)
3. Make sure some buildings and roads are mapped correctly using the Bing
imagery. Move or map some new ones to match Bing.
4. Then load the WorldView imagery (2014 imagery).
5. Background align the WorldView imagery to match what you just mapped
in using the Bing imagery if needed.
6. Carry on mapping using the WorldView imagery after you have aligned
it or checked its alignment.
Discussion: Just make sure you use the Bing imagery as the reference. So
you would not do any background image alignment with the Bing imagery.
If buildings or roads were not well matched to the Bing imagery you could
redraw them to match the Bing imagery. Once you have drawn some buildings
and roads using the Bing imagery, you would then display the WorldView
imagery and do the background image alignment to make the WorldView
imagery match up with what you drew using the Bing imagery if that is
needed.
That process is what it means to use the Bing imagery as the reference
imagery:
You map some with Bing, then align any other imagery to what you
mapped using
the Bing imagery.
> ...but I may be misinterpreting the description/instructions.
> > I’d like to comment generally about the hot task manager
descriptions/instructions:
> > Unless indicated as "Expert only" at the very beginning of an
activation page, I'm
assuming all activations are for the general public to contribute to?
The "whys and
wherefores" and technical information I feel are often getting in the
way of plain
and simple guidance as to what is required, so people can just get on
with it, and not
have to hunt for the pertinent information. Plainly worded bullet
points would be ideal.
Any "nice to know" information could be provided below this.
You are right on each point here. It is a challenge though with many
different people
creating directions for Projects. It is too easy to forget not
everyone knows what
"vector data" is. And there is the issue that not everyone is a native
speaker of the
language the directions might be written in. We are working to create
some standard
sets of directions in English for things like drawing buildings and
roads, aligning
imagery, etc that a Project creator could , optionally, choose to use.
That will help
with some of the inconsistent directions.
Thank you very much for helping map and please let us know if you have
any further
questions.
cheers,
Blake
> Laura Green >
osm: LollyMay
> _______________________________________________ >
HOT mailing list > [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[email protected]
Skype: thetechlady
_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot