Hi Ethan,

HOT doesn't really have any formal monitoring that we do per-se,
although there is a lot of informal monitoring simply because we are
many people who all follow the news and current events to some degree.
 So generally anything we might be interested in tends to get noticed
by someone fairly quickly.

I myself have an RSS feed that is the combined output of the USGS
earthquake feed, plus the BBC news feed filtered to only show things
with keywords like 'flood', 'hurricane', 'militants', etc.  I had
meant to make the feed more complete but I kind of ran out of ideas
for what else to add.

Generally for most things the news (at least early reports) is quick
enough for us to get started; more monitoring might be nice, but we
are pretty quick anyway so it is hard to improve much.

- -AndrewBuck