This is definitely slow time and not something to distract HOT at the
moment.

Mapping buildings is not my favourite occupation.  I reward myself by
breaking off and sending the odd email etc from time to time so the figures
below are not head down hard mapping of buildings.

However I noticed that in a one hour session in Nepal I mapped around six
hundred buildings using JOSM building_tool including one or two odd shaped
ones <shift>J thanks to Blake's video.

If I look at the tiles I'm working on I see that half the mappers only map
twenty buildings or less and there aren't that many mappers mapping over a
hundred buildings in a tile.

Does it matter?  If we were paying mappers for their time then yes it
would, we aren't but even so think how much more quickly we could complete
projects with the same resources and we won't even talk about data quality
issues.

I understand that JOSM has acquired a reputation for being hard to teach
and use by some but perhaps with suitable guidelines we can get a bit more
productivity out of our mappers?

Cheerio John