Steven and Martin,

Thanks for all the material and ideas. This has certainly gotten me to
think about the project I have proposed on a much deeper level. There are
several secondary benefits to HOT that have helped me along. I've become
better at public speaking, organization, management, acquiring donations,
networking and volunteer recruitment. I'm sure there are many more of the
sort that Martin eludes to in terms of identity as well.

Suzan Reed who is an artist/designer responded to my post with some
interesting ideas. I especially like her perspective on mapping as an
artist, making an emotional connection and having a mentor/partner system.
Is that common in the HOT community? Here are some excerpts from her
response:

"You asked a question: How to get people to map and to keep mapping. For me
there has to be an emotional component. I must feel I am directly affecting
real people, and that they need my help.

I’m currently mapping in Mali on a project that will bring donkeys, sheep,
and goats to needy people in the area so they can be self sufficient. I am
indeed emotionally connected to the project. I imagine people walking the
long roads I’m tracing from one village to another, the way the sky must
look at night, and how they might be living. I research the kinds of houses
they live in and try to find photos. So for me it must be personal.

I was grabbed up by John Whelan early on and became part of his “team”.
Being mentored by John has been an excellent experience. He introduced me
to my mapping partner who lives across the country from me, Blarneystone.
We are the only two mapping in Mali. It’s a long slog, but we don’t want
new mappers to join us because we would then have to correct all their
mistakes. :-)

So that’s my take on what keeps people mapping: personal and emotional
connection to the project and a personal connection to another more
advanced mapper who keeps in touch by email, not just though evaluating
tasks."

Best,
Noah