Hi Frederic,

I have been mapping the European refugee camps and boat landing areas on the Balkans and Greece since half a year. Most of them are not on OSM for security reasons and the sensitive data they contain which I collect from UNHCR, MSF and local volunteer groups. So by now I know pretty much about refugee camp mapping. I also have XML presets and access to UNHCR data about daily arrivals and situation reports.

About the Jordan camps: they are UNHCR camps which means they have containers and are long-term. But they have grown for sure since the last two years, 150.000 people live in Zaatari at the moment. There is infrastructure, markets, shops and clinics. The Azraq camp is quite new and houses a much lower number of people (15 000) than it was built for (150.000). Because of the harsh conditions, refugees prefer to move out and/or start their journey to Europe. Other than the camp in Zaatari it is isolated and without community life. Syrian Refugees travelling to Europe usually come from this camp.

Happy to tell you more about this.

Katja

FYI all. My contacts at REACH have moved on from it, does anyone here have contacts with the current REACH Jordan team?

In a larger sense these questions of sustainability and long-term accuracy will be a recurring issue for humanitarian mapping of camps so it would be good to explore this topic more. I would type some thoughts but I'm on a tiny phone screen right now.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Frederik Ramm" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
Date: 21 Dec 2015 06:00
Subject: [OSM-talk] Zaatari refugee camp, Jordan / UNHCR / REACH
To: "Talk Openstreetmap" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
Cc:

Hi,

   I see that there's a lot of detail mapped at this refugee camp

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=32.29460120201111&mlon=36.3242769241333#map=14/32.2946/36.3243

but when inspecting things more closely, most information seems to come
from imports that are more than a year old.

How stable are camps like this - is it prudent to assume that either

(a) if there was a greengrocer two years ago in a place, it will likely
still be there?

or

(b) the people who have imported data two years ago as part of their
job/project/assignment will still be around and change things as necessary?

or

(c) people living in the camp have the necessary training and resources
to take map updates into their own hands?

I'd love to get in touch with people who mapped this camp, or others in
the more recent past, for a couple of general refugee camp mapping
questions.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm ## eMail [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> ## N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk


_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

Reply via email to