Greetings John and all,

I will try to help connect you with the local team.  To ‘take us back’ and try
to answer some of your questions – this response has from the start been
coordinated by CrisisMappers-Japan. So maybe it is a language issue and they
did not understand your message? However, what was maybe ‘missed’ was a quick
‘identification’ by the local team, that the immediate search and rescue
operations would be done by ‘traditional first responders’ who would have their
own maps and such, so this has always been more a ‘long-term’ recovery/just
further helping the wonderful efforts of OSM-Japan in general, however I too
would like to know if that has changed and/or any ‘use cases’ that have come up
since then.

In general, these are good and valid questions/concerns, and HOT is always
working to improve not only our own coordination, but how we better support
these local groups.  Language barriers, time zones, and many other things
contribute to communication challenges, so patience is always key around OSM.

Cheers,

=Russ