On 17/08/16 14:55, Nicholas Doiron wrote:
> OpenStreetMap is fortunate to have a large, multilingual community. We
> store a "name" tag for local names (sometimes two scripts are used, as
> in Morocco) and we use "name:en" and other tags to store names from
> other languages.
>
> In many parts of OpenStreetMap, we have places labeled English-first, or
> local placenames without alternate names (eg China).  I hesitate to call
> this a /problem /for OSM/HOT, but it could be an interest for expanding
> OSM's reach and involving partners.
>
> Today I set up a prototype on http://city-namer.herokuapp.com/ - it uses
> Overpass to pick places with a name but no name:[lang] tag.  States,
> districts, and cities are sorted to appear before neighborhoods and hamlets.
> Currently this doesn't edit anything... it dumps into a database. But if
> you're interested in making this into a crowd-naming project, please
> contact me or glom onto the GitHub https://github.com/Georeactor/city-namer

For those who don't know, Sven Geggus has written a PostgreSQL function
to automatically transliterate non-latin names into latin alphabet, so
that there'll always been a "latin" name to display on a map. This is
visible on the German style. e.g.:

https://www.openstreetmap.de/karte.html?zoom=18&lat=35.62024&lon=51.39527&layers=B000TF

The code has changed around, but I think this is it now

    https://github.com/giggls/mapnik-german-l10n