Hi Julian,

Sorry this is happening to you. If your email is set to alert you for every email, this would be quite an annoyance!

Some communities use mailing lists as a low-traffic annouce system, but others use them as a web forum type thing. OSM usually uses the latter.

As well as tweaking your email client to not alert you for all messages. You could use the NNTP/usenet interface to the HOT list provided by gmane.org. If you have an email client like Thunderbird, it can also function as a usenet reader. Just point it to news.gmane.org and you can view this list at gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.hot. You can read and send messages, and read all old messages. This could allow you to take part in the HOT mailing list, without getting all the emails. This is what I use and how I'm sending this message! :)