This won't actually give you useful data.  A signifigant number of the schools in Mali and elsewhere in Africa are not actually located in the town they serve, but rather about 1/2 km or so outside of the town, or about halfway between two or more towns. So a significant number actually shouldn't be in a residential area.

-AndrewBuck