John some answers about your concerns
We have our own difficulties in countries like Canada to recruit contributors.
Not surpsingly, for  African communities with more difficult economic
conditions, they have poor, unstable internet access and less time to
contribute.
Problems are multiple in countries like Mali. It is hard to train and maintain
local communities. Following the school and health faicilities imports in 2014,
the Mali community has tried to fix bad imports. But has you see there are
still problems. The government cannot provide detailed data and the community
organize various trips to collect more precise data.

If the international community could work with the local community and not only
organize mapathons discionnected from these communities with too often newbies
and problems never corrected. Projects disconnected from the african
communities add burden, inconsistent map, Spaghetti has one contributor
reported.

How collectively can we corret that ? We need our partners that organize
mapathons to revise their policies to bring in Quality.  Also, it would be
interesting that software editors could catch more rapidly duplicates to
correct them quickly.

- About Overlapping and duplicate buildings - Tools like Osmose report these.
Looking for Mali, it seems that it has been cleaned.

- Large Areas tagged as buildingYou can use this query in JOSM (Overpass Query
Panel). If you cover a large zone in one query, your query might be rejected.
In this example, it will query building polygons that have a perimeter longer
then 1,000 meters. Only a few were reported in Mali.

[out:xml][timeout:60];way[building](if: length()>1000.0)({{bbox}}); out meta;>;
out meta;

regard

Pierre

    Le dimanche 30 juin 2019 13 h 18 min 55 s UTC−4, john whelan