Hello Michael,
thank you for your comment,
about your first point, we have already done a large review of UNHCR refugee sites on OSM, and that's precisely why decided to propose a new tag for large refugee site.
If the tag is validated, we will suggest to have a global manual review of the refugee sites already mapped on OSM to adapt the tagging accordingly.
For your second point, I invite you to read the discussion page of the propose tag ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Refugee_Site_Location_2), this has been widely discussed. but if I just take one argument, I will say that this alternative proposition is based on what has been proposed and validated for mapping university campuses, which, although their functions are not at all the same, can be similar in size, the diversity of the facilities that these places accommodate etc.
Regards,
Manon