What scan application are you using? What all-in-one?

There is an issue with the new xsane (ie: 0.99). Let me know if this is
the problem.

Make sure the xsane "page number" option is set to one for a single
scan. Otherwise xsane will automatically try the ADF.

If you want to use the ADF for multi-page scanning, you should use the
"batch" option. In other words the "page number" option should not be
used without "batch".

-dave