Folks,

I've spent a VERY long day trying to track down a hiccup between CUPS and the
HPLIP manual installation on my Gentoo boxes while doing other development
work.  Essentially, the problem symptoms were:

1) CUPS web-interface works fine.
2) HPLIP 'make install' seems to have run just fine.  Running 'config'
indicated no problems.
3) When adding a printer via the CUPS-web-interface (Officejet 6310), it sees
the networked device (HP_OfficeJet_6300_series_192.9.200.13) on the
Administration tab, and let's you "Add This Printer" just fine.  Printing via
HPIJS to that CUPS-entry works great.
----however---
4a) If you try to "Add Printer" manually (Administration tab->Add Printer)
4b) then do the "Device: AppSocket/HP JetDirect" option **instead** of
the "HP_Officejet_series_6300_blah_blah_blah" option... (the HPLIP
Installation Instructions and various wikis tell you to pick the AppSocket
option)
4c) then do the URI of "hp:/net/Officejet_6300_series?ip=192.9.200.13" that
the 'hp-makeuri' gives you...
4d) then pick "Make:HP"... -> click Continue
4e) then pick "Model: HP Officejet 6300 Foomatic/hpijs (en)  " -> then click
on the 'AddPrinter' button

... YOU GET AN ERROR!

"Bad device-uri "hp:/net/Officejet_6300_series?ip=192.9.200.13"!

This also results in a bogus printer entry in /etc/cups/printers.conf which
you CANNOT remove via the CUPS web interface.  You have to edit the file
manually to pull out the bogus entry, and then perform:
/etc/init.d/cupsd restart

I then fiddled about with the 'hp-setup' command line program, and found
basically the same error:  a bad or mal-formed URI.

This basically indicated that the 'hp:' CUPS-backend was not installed.  But
yet the HPLIP 'make install' ran without a hitch!

The really strange part was that handing
the 'hpaio:/net/Officejet..blah..blah' URI to XSANE allowed me to scan from
the Officejet!  Hmmm...how could this be?

To summarize, I had a CUPS-legal entry using the 'socket://192.9.200.13' URI,
and *SOMEHOW* the "hpaio:/net/Office..blah..blah" URI was working
with 'xsane', but the 'hp:/' and 'hpfax:/' URI's were screwed.

SOLUTION:
I finally figured out what was happening.  The 'hp' ELF and 'hpfax'
Python-script were being installed into:
/usr/lib/cups/backend

HOWEVER, on my Gentoo install, they **NEED** to be located in:
/usr/libexec/cups/backed

Once I'd figured this out, two quick symlinks fixed my headache.  I could then
install via CUPS and the 'AppSocket/HP JetDirect' option, and the 'hp-setup'
program was able to function properly as well.

NOTES:
I have not deviated from the Gentoo standard ebuild/layout (too much) as I
built these systems, so I'm assuming someone else may run into this headache.
I think it would be advisable to add this bit about the symlinks to
your "Manual Install" pages on the HPLIP home-site for Gentoo.  It should
also be possible to add a check to the 'make install' option for this
condition, and create the symlinks automatically.

Hope this saves someone the grey hair I earned today.

Thanks for making an overall GREAT piece of software though.  I truly
appreciate your efforts.

-Shawn