When "HP Device Manager" is started from console there is message:
"error: Unable to connect to HPLIP I/O (hpiod)."

It would be very helpful to add one more line saying:
"Please start hplip service if it is not running"

Another kind of problem like this is in KDE. When hplip service is not running
and I click on "HP Device Manager" in K menu it not starts and not displays
anythig. One error dialog box saying:

"error: Unable to connect to HPLIP I/O (hpiod)."
"Please start hplip service if it is not running"

would solve this issue.

have a nice day and thanks for help,
Zbigniew Luszpinski