> I wonder how IJS is used and implemented in HPLIP/HPIJS.
>
> According to what I find under prnt/hpijs it seems
> HPLIP/HPIJS has its own IJS sources and finally all is linked
> together into /usr/bin/hpijs (e.g. hpijs-ijs_server.o and
> hpijs-ijs.o).

yes, this is correct

> If I am right, I wonder why HPLIP/HPIJS does not use the
> system header files for IJS /usr/include/ijs/ijs.h
> /usr/include/ijs/ijs_client.h /usr/include/ijs/ijs_server.h
> and then links (dynamically) with /usr/lib/libijs.so like the
> Gutenprint/Gimp-Print IJS drivers (/usr/bin/ijsgutenprint.5.0
> and /usr/bin/ijsgimpprint) do.

This is done historically because HPIJS was distributed before libijs.so
was established and the IJS code is very small.

> E.g. we provide in our ghostscript-library package the IJS
> headers and libijs.so and the /usr/bin/ijs-config script
> which can be used to get information about the installed
> version of IJS during compile time of HPLIP/HPIJS via the
> configure script.
>
> Is there a special reason why HPLIP/HPIJS has its own IJS sources?

As far as I remember we are running IJS 0.35 unchanged, I would have to
double check that.

> Couldn't there be compatibility problems if there is a major
> IJS version upgrade in Ghostscript?
> Or are such problems of less importance than other problems
> which are the reason that HPLIP/HPIJS has its own IJS sources?

The IJS specification has been very stable. The reason I hesitate to
convert to libijs.so is because HPIJS has been tested as a IJS 0.35
server and linking to the local IJS source code assures 0.35 runtime
functionality. If the IJS specification does change, I would hope it
would be backward compatible.

-dave