Hi, Martin-

Is the reason that pinging google.com not working because you do not route
ping packets or that you do not allow access to outside servers?

In 2.7.9, I have changed the network check to first attempt an HTTP get
(using curl or wget) of http://www.google.com and if that fails it will try
to ping www.google.com. The reason we chose not to use an HP server, is that
in our testing, we had several cases where pinging an HP server would fail.
I don't know if they have pinging turned off or what the issue was, but we
felt that google.com would be pretty universally accessible to our users.

Would these commands succeed on your network?:

wget --timeout=5 http://www.google.com

or:

curl --connect-timeout 3 --max-time 5 http://www.google.com

Thanks,