Hi

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this question....if not, sorry!

I notice a difference in print quality using HPLIP/CUPS in Mepis6.0, versus
WinXP prints. The Linux prints (I talk about photo prints here) are grainier
than what WinXP produces. This is using a C5180 all-in-one, ethernet connected.

A screenshot illustrating this issue is available here:
http://www.roadmoviemusic.net/divers/capture1.jpg

These are (details of) 600x600 scans from both a WinXP and Linux 6x4 inch print
of the same file, both printed with the highest quality settings available, on
HP Advanced photopaper. (The original test file was downloaded from
http://www/digitaldog.net)).

The scans were both made from Linux using Xsane, with the same settings.

My question is obviously: what does WinXP better than Lin/HPLIP, and can
something be done about this? The difference IS visible in real-world comparison
and it would be great to benefit from top quality under Linux too....

Thank you very much
Dirk