Alexey,

I have just come across your pending post on the stellar.cct.lsu.edu
site and have copied it here to our mailing list for others to see and
respond:

Hi there.

First, I am super grateful to you guys. thanks for creating such a
needed library.
I have been trying to set up HPX 1.2.0 on windows (Win 10, MSVC2017) for
the last few days. tried different build options etc.
I managed to make it run, yet I have a performance problem even in a
quite basic example – HPX runtime seem to consume unexplainably lot of
CPU. So, a simple process, which initialises HPX runtime and goes to
sleep runs at 90% CPU (the whole system massively slows down) in debug
mode and 20-50% CPU with a release build. I have tried HPX 1.2.0 and
1.1.0 manually built with default options (w/o tests and examples),
latest boost, hwloc 1.1.0. I also tried vcpkg version of HPX 1.1.0. Both
release and debug builds of HPX – same behaviour in all versions.

It does not matter how I initialise the HPX – using hpx::init,
hpx::start or hpx_main. I do not pass any custom parameters to HPX.
Although, if I set hpx:threads 1, then it runs ok, but obviously in one
thread.

below is one of the code versions which causes problems
#include
#include
#include

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
return hpx::init(argc, argv);
}
int hpx_main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
std::this_thread::sleep_for(std::chrono::milliseconds(30000));
return hpx::finalize();
}

Could you help me figure out why HPX is so hungry for resources, while
it does nothing?

Thank you very much in advance

Alexey

--