According to Jun Dong ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Thanks for your tips.
> In Slackware 7.0 Packages there is no files of LC_CTYPE , LC_* etc.. under
> /usr/lib/locale/de or deutsch.
> Under /usr/lib/locale/de is only Directory LC_MESSAGES.
> I have copied directory de_DE which includs all files LC_* from SUSE 6.2 to
> SLACKWARE /usr/lib/locale und made symblolink de -> de_DE.
> With your testlocale.cc code,  after the code compiIed, I give command testlocale
> de
> and the screen prints out exactly german accents with Umlaut.
> But unfortunately Htdig is always no function with german accents despite how I
> exactly
> configured Htdig.conf. This is really system problem from Slackware.

The problem with copying from a different system is that the C library
may be different, and therefore may require a different set of file
formats for locale support.  This was the case in the transition from
libc5 to glibc.  However, if testlocale.c did recognize the German
umlauts as alphanumeric, then it would suggest that things are mostly
working correctly.  I don't know why, but there are a few systems where
this test program works, but htdig's locale support doesn't.  I don't
know what else to point the finger at besides the C library, though.

> In other way I have found the Tips from:
> ftp://sol.ccsf.cc.ca.edu/htdig/paches/3.1.5/accents.zip.README
> I have modified HTML.cc and htsearch.cc again and recompiled Htdig and no more
> definition
> with locakle again. Finally Htdig with german accents is successfully installed.
> you can find the url where I installed Htdig:
> http://www.homepagemagazin.de/htdig/

The problem with the accents.zip patch is that it ends up stripping
off all accents by converting all accented letters in the ISO-8859-1
character set to their unaccented counterparts.  So, the excerpts won't
contain the accents.  While this isn't as nice as the accents.5 patch,
which adds accent support as a new fuzzy match method, the patch you
used is at least better than nothing for a system that doesn't properly
support locales.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>