Thank you Gilles, I've gone through your suggestions, and it now seems to
work.  Funny thing is, I do not know which config option I changed to fix
it.  The manual conversion of a small pdf file is below.  I had been
indexing a small section of my site as a test, now that it seems to be
working, I will reindex the entire site and see if it still works, I am
using the -vvv option in the event I need it debugged.

I have noticed that the output from rundig seems to look the same wether the
database is being newly build, or updated.  AT what point does htdig realise
it already has a page in it's database, assuiming I am running an update to
HTDIG?

Regards,
Tony.

[root@Linux /root]# conv_doc.pl
/var/www/html/htdig/mx59pro/manual/english/content.pdf
<HTML>
<head>
<title>PDF Document </title>
</head>