I've been able to successfully install (and execute, giving valid results),
the 1/14/01 snapshot of this.

To get this to work, however, I had to invoke the "--without-zlib" option.

I obtained zlib113, uploaded it to the server, decompressed, and attempted to
compile.  (I do NOT have authority to write into /usr/bin; tried to install
into "/home/atticshops/www/zlib", into which I can write).
Within configure and Makefile, I did set prefix to this value.

specifically, added following line prior to first reference to $prefix:
prefix=/home/atticshops/www/zlib

configure appears to operate properly; generates following:

Checking for gcc...
Building static library libz.a version 1.1.3 with gcc.
Checking for unistd.h... Yes.
Checking for errno.h...  Yes.
Checking for mmap support... Yes.

(but I cannot locate the "libz.a" which it claimed to be creating).

make install fails with following error messages:
gcc -O3 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H -DUSE_MMAP   -c adler32.c -o adler32.o
In file included from adler32.c:8:
zlib.h:871: parse error before `('
zlib.h:871: parse error before string constant
zlib.h:875: stray '\' in program
make: *** [adler32.o] Error 1

Linux version is --

Server OS: Linux 2.0.36

Can someone advise what I need to do -- presumably within the configure and
Makefile datasets--to get this to operate.

Steven P Haver/602-242-9708