On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 23:44 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> > What is the tradeoff between using the same httpClient instance again
> > and again, or creating a new one on each request? Can you create a
> > memory leak by using one instance and not closing connections properly?
> >
> It very much depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Generally it
> is recommended to reuse the HttpClient instance in order to utilize
> persistent connections more efficiently.
>
> What is very important that the connection manager associated with the
> HttpClient instance is shut down when it is no longer needed. Otherwise,
> connections will stay open until garbage collected by the JVM, which may
> take a while. If too many instances of HttpClient are created in a tight
> loop without being correctly shut down, there will be too many
> connections kept alive needlessly and the system can run out of
> resources.

Oleg,
thanks for the reply. I am reusing one instance, but I was just
wondering. Using one instance I don't have to shut down connection
managers, right?

btw, I'm still a bit confused after switching from 3.x to 4.0, but you
guys have the documentation right, now. I think you did a good job.

Christine

> Hope this helps
>
> Oleg
>

> > > Oleg

dagdag is just a two character rotation of byebye
www.christine.nl