Hi,

I receive gzip-compressed content from a server, and I handle it as suggested in the ClientGZipContentCompression.java example, i.e. via request and response interceptors. This is all working fine.

But when using HttpEntity.writeTo(OutputStream) to do something with the content, what I have is the *compressed content* (e.g. length of the byte array behind my ByteArrayOutputStream: 12'753), whereas EntityUtils.toByteArray(HttpEntity) gives me the *uncompressed content* (length=160'991), correctly processed through the GzipDecompressingEntity/HttpEntityWrapper (cf ClientGZipContentCompression.java).

In both cases the HttpResponseInterceptor that wraps the entity inside the GzipDecompressingEntity of the example obviously does its job, it just seems that HttpEntity.writeTo doesn't use the wrapper's getContent() but somehow EntityUtils.toByteArray does.

Is it supposed to be that way ? I was surprised, from an API point of view, that both methods did not (indirectly) yield the same result. Am I missing a point somewhere ?

You can test the difference by using either one of these 2 snippets of code inside ClientGZipContentCompression.java (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/httpclient/src/examples/org/apache/http/examples/client/ClientGZipContentCompression.java ):

1):
byte[] a1 = EntityUtils.toByteArray(entity);
System.out.println("a1.length=" + a1.length);

or 2):
ByteArrayOutputStream os = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
entity.writeTo(os);
byte[] a2 = os.toByteArray();
System.out.println("a2.length=" + a2.length);

Thanks in advance for your comments!

(My versions of HttpClient and HttpCore are 4.0 and 4.0.1 respectively.)

--
Charles François Rey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to