From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:ol...@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:10 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: RE: Stale Connection Check

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 23:11 -0500, Vadheraju, Rajeshwar wrote:
> Oleg, Thanks for your response.
> We can't upgrade to 4.1 in a day or two as the mentioned errors are occurring
> in Production environment. We will consider moving to 4.x in near future(may
> be in the next release), thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I went through link that you provided , In "2.10. Connection eviction
> policy", it reads like "...The stale connection check is not 100% reliable..."
>
> So my question is why stale connection check is not reliable, doesn't matter
> whether it is version 3.1 or 4.x?

HTTP connection can be closed by either endpoint and become 'stale' on
the opposite end at any given moment. There is always a window, albeit
small, between a successfully completed stale connection check and
flushing of the internal session buffer containing the outgoing request
message, in which the underlying connection can become stale without
Httpclient's noticing until it is too late.

I would go as far as saying that the stale connection check is useless
and evil. It by no means can be used as a substitute for a sensible
request retry / recovery mechanism.

Hope this helps