We are using HttpClient 4.5.2

Our customer needs to delay the release of the connection until the response is
fully processed.
They want to turn off the early automatic release of the connection and do it
manually later.

This is the problematic code in MainClientExec
            // check for entity, release connection if possible
            final HttpEntity entity = response.getEntity();
            if (entity == null || !entity.isStreaming()) {
                // connection not needed and (assumed to be) in re-usable state
                return new HttpResponseProxy(response, null);
            } else {
                return new HttpResponseProxy(response, connHolder);

Can you suggest an approach to do this without duplicating all of
What acceptable changes can we make to the HttpClient source code to make this
I am willing to implement the change if there is interest.