Oleg,
NASA is moving out of the email hosting business, and they are moving the email
enterprise into the Microsoft cloud hosted (O365 they call it) environment.

One of the engineers is telling me: "on-premises is very forgiving and will
allow you to use domain\username.  When you go to the cloud, we can only use
the UPN usern...@domain.com."

Currently I setup my client authenticator as follows, where "on-premises" works
fine, but cloud does not:
      String localIp = Inet4Address.getLocalHost().getHostAddress();
      CloseableHttpClient httpclient = null;
      HttpHost httpHost = new HttpHost(_host, 443, "https");
      NTCredentials ntCredentials = new NTCredentials(_user, _password,
localIp, _domain);
      AuthScope authScope = new AuthScope(httpHost);
      CredentialsProvider credsProvider = new BasicCredentialsProvider();
      credsProvider.setCredentials(authScope, ntCredentials);
      httpclient =
HttpClients.custom().setDefaultCredentialsProvider(credsProvider).build();

      _httpclient = httpclient;
      _httpHost = httpHost;

The working document:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/client-developer/exchange-server-development

I'll continue looking around. Do you have any advice in the interim?
Thanks,
Dave