Okey, so I'm still not ready to let this one go ;)
I've followed this guide: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_Ubuntu
To compile and install those on my machine:
libpano13 2.9.19-789hg
enblend 4.2-7bcf8a1e6b3d
hugin 2013.0.0.6337

Now with this setup, trying to create a panorma with more than 2**31
pixels will fail within minutes, and since Christoph said that this is
simply not possible I'm gonna let that one go. Though why someone would
address pixels with a signed integer type still puzzles me...

So I've settled to trying to achieve to create a panorama of the size
240.000 x 8.292 = 1.990.080.000 pixels, which is smaller than 2^31 =
2.147.483.648

My first try failed after a few hours when trying to enblend picture 66
of 229 - with an out of memory exception. Though unlike with previous
"memory exceptions" this time the memory & swap space truly was
completly full. (10GB RAM + 20GB Swap). So I've decided to make my swap
partition a little bigger (100GB) and now enblend is already running for
a little over 24 hours and is currently enblending picture 140 of 229
and the biggest memory usage I saw until now was 10GB RAM + 39GB swap =
49GB total.

Another Problem I've got is the introduction of artefacts by enblend.
With the self-compiled enblend version specified above I've created two
panoramas yet - one 100.000 x 3.455 pixels, and one with 130.000 x 4.492
pixels, and both show artifacts like those
http://kaefert.is-a-geek.org/misc/hugin/360degree233pics_enblend-failure/artifacts-enblend-4-2/
though the bigger version has more of them, and more severe ones.

With the default Ubuntu 13.04 enblend package 4.0+dfsg-4ubuntu3 I've
tried a lot of different sizes, and the biggest one without artefacts
was 86.000 x 2.881 pixels, the biggest one that did not fail to enblend
was 135.000 x 7.191. The artifacts that this old enblend version
introduced into the panorama where hundreds of 1 pixel thick lines that
where black, or dark gray or sometimes also nearly invisible because of
nearly the same color as the panorama at that segment. The bigger the
panorama the more of those lines where introduced.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Hugin
Developers, which is subscribed to Enblend.

Title:
  enblend fails to blend large pano

Status in Enblend:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Enblend failed with:

  enblend --compression=LZW -m 1200 -w -f135659x3947+0+1091 -o pano8110_l.tif
  enblend: info: loading next image: pano8110_l0000.tif 1/1
  enblend: out of memory
  enblend: std::bad_alloc

  This is a simple 0.5Gpixel panorama I shot. And agreed, Hugin did warn
  me that it might take a lot of memory.

  The thing is: There is no other tool to stitch this with, so I'll have to
make do with hugin and its toolset....
  I thought there was an "imagecache" that would swap parts of images to disk...