Dear all,
I read the discussion with interest as I have the same problem.
I did not understand which file I have to rename... I don't have .hugin
files... only .pto files.
Thank you for your help to an un-geek...

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Hugin
Developers, which is subscribed to Hugin.

Title:
  hugin is crashing on start

Status in Hugin:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I keep getting an error and then a crash when i begin hugin. The error
  is:

  /usr/include/wx-3.0/wx/object.h(160): assert "wxDynamicCast(ptr, T)"
  failed in wxCheckCast(): wxStaticCast() used incorrectly

  I've repeated this numerous times and it keeps doing it.

  Here is some info:
  Operating System: Linux 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (Mint 17.3)
  Architecture: 64 bit
  Free memory: 140052198648283 kiB
   Hugin
  Version: 2016.0.0.3b4e2790cb90
  Path to resources: /usr/share/hugin/xrc/
  Path to data: /usr/share/hugin/data/
  Hugins camera and lens database: /home/bmike1/.hugindata/camlens.db
  Multi-threading using C++11 std::thread and OpenMP
  Monitor profile: Screen 1 #1 2016-06-29 13-30 S XYZLUT+MTX

  The system is updated almost daily.

  here is the debug report on googledrive (and the last .pto file I
  successfully completed):

  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2xvsVTZy4y1NXBsN1VzV1B1R2s

  sometimes the debug report window does not open.

  I opened the batch processor and it happily ran.