Yes, that only crops a rectangle.  And without looking at the source, I'd
guess it only crops off rectangular regions of 100% black.  That is a lot
simpler than what would be needed for automatically determining the crop
circle for a fisheye.  The regions outside the fisheye are not 100% black so
you'd need a procedure to determine where the image begins.  Still, it seems
very straightforward.