A good question.

In my opinion, this situation is one thing that limits the accuracy of the Lens Correction Parameters ("a," "b," "c," etc.) obtained from automatically created control point pairs.

The the vexing problem is that regions where it is *most* important to have good values are exactly the same regions where automatic control point generators place NO points. The problem probably doesn't occur with lower distortion lenses, but certainly does with circular or full frame fisheyes.

The way that I have always dealt with this is to manually add a few control points at the sides, and particularly the corners, of overlapping images. The manually added points plus the automatically generated ones can produces very accurate lens parameters -- judged by the small error numbers during optimization and the complete absence of any visible stitching errors. But this requires manual intervention for every single stitch.

I realize that after you have done this once, with a images from a representative panorama, you will then probably then have a very good starting point for future stitches. You can save the "lens" (Camera and Lens tab), then load it for future panoramas, or save a successful project and use it as a Template for future stitching.

But what I'd really like to see is a control point generator that could accurately place points for images from fisheye lenses far away from the image center.

eo

On Jul 2, 2010, at 4:39 PM, pfanous wrote:

I'm using align_image_stack. I notice that the effectiveness of the
alignment is related to how well the corner detection / control point
generation process performs. For certain images, the control point
generation is very limited.

I'm wondering if there's away to increase its effectiveness by some
means. For instance, does it use median filtering to help out the
corner detection process? If so, is there some way to increase the
radius / patch size? How can I modify the delta that it uses as a
threshold to determine if an edge is an edge?


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "hugin and 
other free panoramic software" group.
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx

Reply via email to