I'd start hugin from a command line.   This might give some clue as to what's
happening.  Or use strace.  This is of course if you can get to a term session
on F4.

I'd expect to have new *deb binaries sometime this afternoon.  Ubuntu 10.04.
Debian users have used them with success.

An alternative is to try
http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/deb/ubuntu/10.04/20100915/20100915.html.
Purge your other hugin debs b4 u do.

I tried your three pics on my system, and they worked great.  I haven't tried
your procedure, but I'll try that later today.

Dale