System info just for the record, as Gnome Nomad has already noted that Hugin writes to networked devices. I do wonder whether the root is defaulted to under some circumstances, or whether there's a setting I need to locate & change.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Dell Computer Corporation
System Model    OptiPlex GX240 ~1695 Mhz
Total Physical Memory   512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory       20.52 MB

My networked drive is a Freecom that is not particularly quick to write to, so it may be that Hugin times out whilst waiting, and defaults to the system root directory.

Thanks for the tips!

David