On 23/06/11 09:57, kfj wrote:
> On 23 Jun., 05:09, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
>
>> exactly.  check the 2007 GSoC project to see where this ends: wxWidget has
>> improved enough to make us forget that we wanted to move to Qt.
> I'm glad you didn't. I have a funny feeling with Qt. They might decide
> suddenly they aren't licensing this or the other component to the free
> world anymore or putting restrictions on what Qt-based code can be
> used for. I feel much more comfortable with wxWidgets, never mind it's
> probably not (yet) as evolved and polished.

It's a shame that the old "reason" that spawned GNOME (Qt wasn't "Free"
at that time) is still causing FUD (no doubt unintentional FUD) like
this. Qt is currently completely free software to the point that RMS
endorses it (article from sept. 2000, a still somewhat sceptical RMS:
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-09-05-001-21-OP-LF-KE).

The KDE community has been constantly working to ensure that the basis
of their software is and will remain free software ever since.

I'm not familiar with the quality of wxWidgets, but it wasn't that long
ago that it was the cause of hugin's less than modern looks. I agree
that this has improved to the point of being moot, but with Qt, I think
it could have happened sooner and better (regarding portability). Also
note that Qt has had Python binding for a long time, as well as bindings
to other scripting languages.

Anyway, regardless of which toolkit is used for the UI, I think hugin's
last release, which I used to stitch together some recent handheld
"wider" angle holiday snapshots, is really great, so I'm not complaining!

please keep on making hugin better, I think Qt would be a better toolkit
for the GUI, but since I'm not in a position to prove it, do it the way
you prefer!

Cheers

Simon