I was told that OpenEXR doesn't compile on 64 bit windows. This
affects many other applications, not just Hugin.

I have being trying to find a mailing list or forum to raise this
issue. So far have applied to join the mailing list at http://www.openexr.com/
but have not been accepted.
Maybe if a few of us make posts in that forum we can influence the
situation.