I'm still having problems getting this to stitch.

The main suggestion that I hear from dkloi is to run align_image_stack at
the beginning of the workflow regardless of       whether I plan to do
exposure fusion from stacks OR exposure fusion from any arrangement. Does
this not defeat the purpose  of exposure fusion from any arrangement? Here
is what I mean:

Given: Images were shot like this.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jD7-LKCWCMk/WYdOQ3vpZ-I/AAAAAAAANWQ/Kccs-zLxBXw4bfcnAUKzXeW2YE9jazfTwCL4CGAYYCw/s1600/unnamed0.jpg>

What is being proposed: make stacks, even though images were not taken as
stacks per flow diagram above. Like this, repeated for all the "stacks":

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Px_y8ZExwaA/WYdQ7zYzArI/AAAAAAAANWc/kQsL9CeepbQfuV16WLfXFaZYiVP2XK6RQCL4CGAYYCw/s1600/unnamed1.jpg>

Then I have two options:

a) exposure fusion from any arrangement (as if moving from ais images, DOWN)
b) exposure fused from stacks (as if moving from ais images to RIGHT)

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-P-0rtmCwLMY/WYdTYzSlJnI/AAAAAAAANWs/WwtldDzQaKgSvfHID-RHiSeg8eBGq6yBQCL4CGAYYCw/s1600/unnamed2.jpg>

The problem with this approach is that align_image_stack cannot identify
control points for the image DSC_8625.tif which match with the rest of the
"stack" (DSC_8632.tif, DSC_8633.tif, DSC_8625.tif). I had originally
intended this fusion to happen via any arrangement. I didn't think that
individual images had to be ligned up.

I've tried playing with the parameters of align_image_stack but it's not
able to make control points DSC_8625.tif no matter what I use. E.g.

    align_image_stack -v -d -i -x -y -z -C --use-given-order -g 40 -a ais
../DSC_8633.tif ........

I suspect that DSC_8625.tif does not lign up because the image is
translated too much.

T. Modes, have I interpret the *exposure fused from any arrangement *workflow
wrong? How would this problem be dealt with?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/24fe3c46-b336-4d7d-9959-017c60224c15%40googlegroups.com.