Not a focus stack.  A 2 row panorama, same focal length, same exposure,
roughly the same focus at infinity (landscape image).

The panorama output is fine.  It's just not repeatable, even with the exact
same input files, and no changes to the .pto file. I literally select
'stitch' twice (exposure fused from any arrangement, optimal size, no
resizing set in preferences, all other values to default), three times,
four times in a row without changing any of the variables, and each output
panorama image is different.  See the gif I posted above.

I don't understand how the algorithm works, that the same exact variables
produce different results, unless there is some random seed somewhere.

What I'd like to do, is to produce panoramas with consistently matched
pixels, so that I can manually blend differently stretched jpgs derived
from the same RAW files.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/3067c12b-acd2-4b7a-b14a-523906055efe%40googlegroups.com.