Aha -- it seems to be related to optimization of translation... I inspected
the .pto and saw some extreme-seeming values for TrX, TrY, and TrZ. I
started over and did not optimize translation and the issue doesn't happen.

I chose to optimize for translation because I was on a crappy tripod
without any kind of calibration for the image plane vs. the pivot point --
was that a bad idea?

Here is the .pto
<http://caseyconnor.org/pub/image/hugin/cp-1sts-imgs-dragged-cps-reduced.pto>
in case it's interesting (and if you don't want to download the 2GB zip
file just to see the pto.)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/142057f9-31c2-4499-89c7-6e1f2a099e0b%40googlegroups.com.