Perhaps this link might help … I had to read it very carefully a few times …
even though English is my first language.
The picture in the link is from the perspective of someone looking down on you
standing at the origin 0,0,0.
>From your camera's point of view taking the picture looking at the “Projection
>Plane”: X is the camera moving left-right (-ve to +ve), Y is the camera moving
>down-up (-ve to +ve), and Z is in-out (-ve to +ve … “in” being closer to the
>projection plane)
If you’re in a plane taking a picture straight down just think from you point
of view as laying down pointing the camera straight down … so Z is “in” to the
ground (it’s always relative to what your camera is looking at).
I believe from this then that TRx of 0.521 being 30cm is relative to the
“Projection Plane” at Z=-1 (and the panosphere radius r=1); r must be at about
twice (1/0.521=1.919) 30cm or 57.6cm.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/1CCEECD8-2FF8-48F0-98CD-D5C2EEBCA666%40accesscomm.ca.