Quoting from the original Blueprint on Launchpad
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/hugin/+spec/hugin-appimage):
"*I have started working on an AppImage package for Hugin. AppImages are
self-contained bundles that provide all libraries and files needed to run a
given application, independently of what is provided by the host linux
system. If you are not familiar with the AppImage format, you can read more
here: https://appimage.org/*
*The whole set of scripts needed to compile Hugin under CentOS 7 and create
the AppImage bundle are freely available on GitHub:
https://github.com/aferrero2707/hugin-appimage*
*The building and packaging process is fully automated, and is currently
set-up to run on Travis CI. The generated AppImage is then automatically
uploaded back to GitHub:
https://github.com/aferrero2707/hugin-appimage/releases/tag/continuous*";.

The most interesting aspect of AppImage packages is that they allow to run
bleeding-edge software versions also on relatively old (but stable)
distributions, without interfering with the system packages. For example,
the Hugin AppImage can be properly run on Debian-stable or Ubuntu 14.04. It
also allows users to easily provide feedback about the latest features in
the development branch, without the burden of compiling the code (and
eventually dependencies) from source.

Thomas Modes already replied to the blueprint, giving some positive
feedback and some suggestions:
"*I willing to incorporate your changes into Hugins code. It is an
interesting concept. But I think it needs some more polishing before the
inclusion:*

** Fixed paths: On Linux there are 3 fixed paths used: INSTALL_XRC_DIR,
INSTALL_DATA_DIR and INSTALL_LOCALE_DIR. These are used at several places
(use the search) and needs to fixed in a similar way as you already did in
huginApp.cpp and PTBatcherGUI.cpp. So similar changes need to be done for
LensCalApp.cpp, hugin_executor.cpp, hugin_stitch_project.cpp and
hugin_base/hugin_utils/utils.cpp* You are using your own hugin.appdata.xml.
What's wrong with Hugins own hugin.appdata.xml? Are there changes necessary
for the AppImage way or can you modification merged with the existing
file?* You should add -DUSE_GDKBACKEN**D_X11=on to your CMake command line,
otherwise Hugin may crash when using your AppImage on a Wayland based
system. This is a workaround about a limitation of current wxWidgets
implementation. (This was mentioned in the release notes of current
release.)*"

I have hopefully implemented all suggestions, and prepared a new package
for testing:
https://github.com/aferrero2707/hugin-appimage/releases/download/continuous/Hugin_Panorama_Creator-git-20181102-x86_64.AppImage
The AppImage download page is also reachable through
AppImageHub: https://appimage.github.io/hugin/

@Thomas: I had no special reason for using a custom hugin.appdata.xml file,
I simply didn't notice the official one... this is now fixed.

If you are interested in this option, the best you can do is to test the
package and provide me feedback (positive or negative), specifying which
Linux distributions and version you have been using for the test.
Using the AppImage is very easy: 1) download te package 2) make it
executable 3) run it.

The next steps will be to add desktop integration and automatic updates.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/2873f47a-8270-438c-8db3-31ad951497f1%40googlegroups.com.