Update:
I tried a new project file - same day, similar location, but with clouds; 5
sets of 6 images with 2 stop difference and exported to TIFF with identical
settings as previous. It stitched perfecty after I had to recentre the sun
orb once. Finishede EXR came out perfectly in less than an hour.
This means that there should be an issue with the images I took for the
problems described in this thread, but visually I haven't seen any
difference in the two months since I've taken them.

At the following link is the file I made in Hugin by exporting to LDR
layers and trying to merge those layers into EXR. I show this as a
curiosity, as I've no idea what happened. There is another thing though -
please find a black triangle near the lower-right corner of the image. That
piece was empty in every layer and could have caused this - I had the
images retouched by filling in the triangle and merged in photoshop through
the usual HDR dialogue, and the result was good.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxg8qax3hr9161e/stack_and_merge.JPG?dl=1

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/8b0bebc7-eeb6-4aec-8c4f-847b814351c5%40googlegroups.com.