Other than field of view, what parameters are able to produce wrong results
that have lower total error than any correct result?

If I understand correctly, that is the major reason for wanting limits.
But in case I've misunderstood:
In many other optimization problems hard limits are used to speed up
optimization and/or keep it out of non convergence areas (where derivative
based optimization sees a wrong direction and/or the error function might
be NaN) even though those bad areas hold no false solutions.  Is that also
a significant issue in hugin?

I still think a more stable objective function is a better idea than limits
for solving the basic problem.  But for discussing the value limits might
have, I'd like to understand what aspect (if any) is general across many
parameters, vs. what is specific to field of view.