Thomas, is there any way that I could code/commit creation of a common base
class for CPImageCtrl and MaskImageCtrl that you would consider acceptable
to be merged to the default branch?

I think it would improve the maintainability of that code.  I think it
would also give me a clearer way to do or redo some other changes that I
hope can be merged in.  For me, it would also make it easier to maintain my
private enhancements with less effort for me to merge your future changes
into my version.

I assume creation of this base class should be started on a new branch (not
on the branch with my previous code that you don't like).  I expect you
want a first commit that just makes a common base class with no more than
the minimum contents (meaning with less contents than provides any
justification for having the class).  Then individual commits per function
to replace common functionality that exists in the two classes with a
single version the new base class.