In case this wasn't obvious and implied by your post, the error in the code
is exactly where the seg fault occurs:

hugin/src/hugin-2021.0.0/src/hugin_base/hugin_utils/utils.cpp:475
475 if (strlen(xdgDataDir) == 0)

Seg faults often indicate a bug in a distant place, that may be hard to
identify from the location of the seg fault.  But not this time.  The
coding error is right there and obvious.

The part I don't know enough about is the hugin build time option:
USE_XDG_DIRS

I don't know which official builds of hugin have that defined (the Fedora
build I'm using doesn't).
As you discovered, if hugin is built with that build time option, but the
environment variable that depends on is not present, then it crashes.
The line of code you identified is clearly intended to check for lack of
that environment variable (to fall back on alternate behavior) but checks
incorrectly.