On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 5:44:47 PM UTC-4 GnomeNomad wrote:

> I have panoramas that were about 2GB as 16-bit TIFFs that became about
> 600-700MB as 100% quality JPGs. So what quality setting are your JPGs at
> to give you a 15x difference?

My results are somewhere between those.  I guess 100% quality JPGs cost a
lot of space.

I don't know what the Sony alpha 7 III's "extra fine" quality for JPG means
(in more portable terminology).  My 4Kx6K photos are 17.5 to 18.8 Mb as
JPGs produced by the camera and are always 145,449,341 bytes as tif files
produced by conversion programs from the arw.  So that is about an 8 to 1
difference.  The tif file holds a 144,000,000 byte image plus various
metadata.  The jpg represents half that much data, apparently getting 4 to
1 compression without any visible loss of quality.

I rarely have blown highlights.  I avoid shooting that way because I assume
it would be harder to fix.  So the problems are at the opposite end.  Some
sections are too dark and I typically hope to mask and selectively brighten
after stitching.  The jpg version is always slightly lacking in content in
the dark areas, so I would need a separate shot with intentionally blown
highlights if I were working just with jpg (and then my expertise as a
hugin user is lacking for the problem).  Working from raw, the dark areas
areas are sometimes far better than in the jpg copy and no second shot
would be needed.  But when I'm not using a tripod (so getting a decent
second shot is harder) tends to be when the raw is too noisy in dark areas
and thus worse than the jpg.