On Friday, August 12, 2022 at 12:37:53 PM UTC-4 Florian Königstein wrote:

> Probably it's best here to first optimize only raw, pitch and roll and
> then only translations.

I gave that a lot of thought, and I have not yet coded/tested what I
decided to do instead.  But I think there is a better way to structure the
idea of "first optimize only ...".

My testing so far has caused me to conclude I need to first stabilize the
behavior of what is there now, before making the big changes I really
want.  There is too much tendency for giant changes in performance and
result quality from what is essentially luck (chaotic magnification of
initial rounding error).

To stabilize what is there now (reduce the luck element in its results):

I think the ambiguity between rotation and translation is not a big
problem.  The two big problems that I think I understand are:
1) images that are not directly connected to the anchor image
2) the instability of the lens correction and fov optimization.

I don't understand the benefits of the first stage optimizing one distance
rather than two directional distances.  But for now I'll trust that concept
and expand on it.
I want several initial stages, and lens parameters changeable only in the
last initial stage. After all the initial stages, the "stage 2" would run
exactly as it does now.
As they do now, the initial stages would all run with cutoffs that should
make then stop quickly (get only a rough fit).
1) First it would take the anchor image plus all those images that share 3
or more CPs with the anchor.
2-?) For subsequent initial stages, each time add all images that share 3
or more CPs with the union of all images of the prior stage.
?+1) If necessary (implying a very badly connected panorama) add all the
rest of the images
?+2) Enable lens and fov if those were specified to be optimized.

In cases where lens correction is major enough, it becomes a user problem
to get the lens right (or at least close) first.  In normal expert use, I
expect the lens was solved earlier and not subject to further
optimization.  In normal beginner use, I expect the whole lens correction
is subtle enough that delaying its optimization (earlier initial stages use
whatever values were already there) is fine for the rough estimate intent
of those stages.

Each initial stage will only happen if it adds something to the previous
initial stage.  So simple panoramas with lens and fov already fixed would
have the same single initial stage they have now.

BTW, do you have any .pto files (in the format read by PToptimize.exe) that
you think I should include in my testing?

Is there some simple way (especially when you don't have the image files)
to create a .pto in the PToptimize.exe format from a .pto in the hugin
format?