I wish my panoramas came together as well or as easily as that one.
After I emailed back the .pto with several garbage CPs removed, I tried
stitching and the result is better than I've ever gotten without major
effort.

The automatic CP detection sometimes creates a few garbage ones.  If I
remember correctly, all but one of your garbage CPs were on clouds.  I
never use the tool for auto removing CPs from clouds, but there is one.
Likely it works.

Many people also use the main control point table (from the view menu)
sorted by distance, to identify garbage CPs.  In the state you sent the
file, the approach was hopeless.  The highest distances were perfectly good
CPs and the bad ones were down of few positions on the list.  Likely after
removing the ones on clouds and reoptimizing, the last garbage one would
have stood out on that list.  I didn't try that.
In the control Points tab, the garbage CPs were so obvious, no real effort
went into finding and deleting them (never works that way for my panoramas).
Once the garbage CPs were gone, your panorama had a better fit than I ever
get even after being sure all my CPs are perfect to a fraction of a pixel.

Anyway, it is not an example for my enhancements to huggin++ for hard
examples.  But I'm glad I could help.  And it is good for me to see
examples demonstrating that my own are not that representative.