How is what finally worked different from what earlier didn't work?

For example, the instructions had /PATH/TO/HUGIN/SOURCES where your final
working version had ..
I assume .. is the path to hugin sources (from the place where you had your
build directory).
It is starting to sound like there was a problem in that aspect originally.

I personally would not make the build directory of a complicated open
source project be a sub directory of the repository (except in projects
with brain dead build tools giving you no choice).

As you discovered, that method does work.  But it still is not a great idea.