---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ﺘﻧﻮﻳﺮ ﺁﻔﺎﻖ <tafa...@gmail.com>
Date: 2010/6/28
Subject: Fwd: Abdul Shakeel Basha's appeal from District Jail, Surat
(Gujarat)-June 25, 2010
To: gurbir <gurbi...@hotmail.com>, Kamayani <kama...@gmail.com>

Friends,

This is Anju, wife of Mr Abdul Shakeel Basha, and I'm writing from Surat
city in Gujarat state on behalf of my husband. As most of you know, Shakeel
was arrested on June 17 from Delhi by Special Cell, Delhi Police on Gujarat
Police's requisition, on charges of affiliation with maoists and naxal
movement in India, under FIR no I-37/2010 Dated Feb 25, 2010 under sections
120 (B), 121 (A), 124 (A), 153 A (B) of Indian Penal Code (IPC), and
Sections 38, 39, and 40 of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act,
1967. He was first produced in Tees Hazari Court in Delhi on June 18 where
he was handed over to Gujarat Police and taken to Surat. He was produced
before a magistrate in Kathor sessions court (near Kamrej) on June 19 and
had been in police custody of Special Operation Group (SOG), Gujarat Police,
Kamrej Police Station, Surat, Gujarat till June 25, 2010. He was then sent
to Sub Jail in Surat city in judicial custody and is lodged there at
present.

Untill now 13 other activists/social workers/rights workers from various
parts of the country have been arrested under the same omnibus FIR, most of
whom had renounced their respective associations with CPI (ML)
Janshakti or banned
CPI (ML) People's War Group (PWG) at different points in time in the past.
10 out of 13 have charges og having alleged connection with Janshakti while
3 with PWG. 8-10 more arrests will take place in near future, the list of
which is avaialble with police. We are also trying to collect the details
about the intermittant period when PWG was not banned like early 2004 when
it was one of the organisers of Mumbai Resistance 2004 which happened
simultaneously with World Social Forum 2004 in Mumbai. The UAPA Amendment of
Dec 2004 came with a  list of about 38 'terorist organisations' which also
included PWG and MCC. While CPI (Maoist) was banned through a notification
in June 2009 only.

He has asked me to share with all of you that he has not been connected with
any naxal/maoist activity from 2004 onwards, when he left the ideology, and
the PWG, now known as Communist Part of India (Maoist)/CPI (Maoist), married
me, shifted to Delhi and started a new life with Aman Biradari, an NGO,
working for people affected in and after 2002 carnage in Gujarat, and in
Delhi with homeless street children and adults untill 2008 end.

Later in 2009 he formed an organisation 'Haq' for working on the issues of
poorest and homeless of the Delhi city untill he was arrested.

And even before 2004, he was involved in peaceful and non-violent activities
of trade unions with textile mill workers, and there is no criminal record
or any other complaint against him of that period too. Assuringly, the
Inspector General (IG) of police, Surat range, the Investigating Officer
(IO) of the case, and the main complainant, a Police Sub-Inspector (PSI),
have also told me quite categorically that Shakeel is absolutely clean after
2004, has been a good citizen, and they have nothing against him post 2004.

He wants to communicate that he is fine, relaxed, and needs faith of all his
friends, colleagues, relatives and acquaintances, in him. He said that its
surely going to be a long legal battle before he walks free which would
require support and help from all of you. He will remain in Surat jail for
minimum 3 months when his chargesheet is filed by the police, and then the
application for his bail will be moved, as has been advised by senior
lawyers Mr Colin Gonsalves (Delhi) and Mr Kirit C Panwala (Surat). A young
lawyer from Surat, Mr Bilal Kagzi, is following up Shakeel's case as of now
and will remain in touch with him on a weekly basis. He has also procured
certified copies of FIR, and Remand Application filed by the SOG, Gujarat
Police in Kathor sessions court. Mr Panwala is following up cases of first
10 accused who had alleged links with Janshakti. He may very soon take up
cases of other accused with alleged PWG connections.

Shakeel has expressed his deepest gratitude to all people who have stood
with him and his case in various ways.

Pl write back with your comments and feedback which will give strength to
Shakeel, to a small group of close friends and organisations who are working
closely , and to me too.

Regards
Anju Shakeel Basha
anjuab...@gmail.com/shakeel.pe...@gmail.com
June 25/Surat

PS: My apologies if there is any cross mailing or mail marked to anybody not
connected.

--
Tanveer Afaque
linkedin.com/in/tafaque

--
Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
+919820749204

"After a war, the silencing of arms is not enough. Peace means respecting
all rights. You can’t respect one of them and violate the others. When a
society doesn’t respect the rights of its citizens, it undermines peace and
leads it back to war.”
-- Maria Julia Hernandez

www.otherindia.org
www.binayaksen.net