Alexey Kardashevskiy, le Thu 16 Sep 2010 15:57:47 +1000, a écrit :
> >>- where do I put IBM-specific code?
> >>
> >Is the device tree linux-specific ? If so, it can stay in linux file as
> >long as it's not 30k lines :) We already have both sysfs and
> >/proc/cpuinfo  code there anyway.
>
> It is powerpc-specific. It is mapped from the system firmware (aka bios)
> by the powerpc kernel. However it is just a folder within /proc so it is
> usual linux folder. But PowerPC might be not the only architecture which
> uses the same pathname for the same thing.

AIUI from google searches, it is an Open Firmware standard, also
used on the OLPC, and thus would be not only for PowerPC.  Since
that's not really Linux-specific, it would take place somewhere
else than topology-linux.c, but the standard doesn't seem to say
how/where this tree is exposed.  Apparently there's even some sort
of text format for it, see arch/powerpc/boot/dts/*.dts.  I'd thus
say that all OS-independant code should go to a topology-of.c file,
and topology-linux.c would provide generic tree functions to browse
/proc/device-tree, i.e. of_get_str, of_get_int_arr, and generic tree
browsing functions, which topology-of.c can then use to browse the
tree and fetch information without knowing where it is taken from. A
topology-dts.c file would provide the same functions, but this time
providing data from a .dts file, and that combination could be a backend
replacing the /proc and /sys parsing completely, similarly to loading a
.xml file. Note that I'm not asking you to do all this, I'm just asking
to rework the function interfaces a little bit to have things already
cleanly separated for anybody who would feel like adding another OS
support or parsing .dts files some day, I believe that shouldn't be too
much work for you.

>From what I can read in drivers/of/fdt.c, the binary values are passed
directly from the table in memory. I wonder which endian order this is
supposed to be, but since I can see be32_to_cpu all around in the code
there, I guess it is assumed to be all big endian. There are thus also a
few fixes to be done in your code:

- Make sure you have proper sizes: code like

unsigned int reg = -1;
if (0 != of_get_int_arr(cpu, "reg", &reg, sizeof(reg), root_fd))

is not really safe, you should use uint32_t to make sure of the size of
the integer.

- Once the read is done, values need to be swapped on little-endian
  machines.  You could use ntohl for that.

- Constant-sized buffers are never a good idea. I know there are already
  some in topology-linux, but that's not a reason when it should be easy
  to make things properly :)

It's thus say that you should rather provide the following functions:

static inline int
of_get_int(const char *p, const char *p1, uint32_t *value, int root_fd);

Gets one integer into `value'.

static inline uint32_t *
of_get_int_arr(const char *p, const char *p1, int root_fd);

Returns the array of integers.  Yes, this makes a lot of
allocation/deallocation, but that should be neglectible compared to the
system calls and will save us nasty length-bugs later.

Samuel